We like riding bikes!

We are a diverse group of people living in the Bishops Castle area with one thing in common - we like riding bikes! We organise rides for riders of all abilities, and we are affiliated to Cycling UK for the protection of all.

Rides are on the first Wednesday of the month. Rides are normally "meet at destination" rides, enabling riders of all abilities to meet at a place and time to socialise together.

In addition, an informal "further, faster" group meets each Wednesday at the Six Bells Pub. You should use the link below to contact us if you think you might want to join this ride for the first time, so that we can let you know if it's going to be right for you.

AGMs


NB - scroll down for earlier years!

Castle Cyclists - Minutes of AGM 16th October 2019

Present
Dave Thomlinson,  Andy Seaborne, Huw Prole, Tess Pearson, Kay Radford, Paul Rogers, Glynn Roberts, Chris Radford,  Shirley Mutlu, Liz Colebrook

Apologies
Steve Levers, Anne Roberts, Steve Waterhouse, Meady Waterhouse, Rose Churton, Jim Churton, Beryl Bronner, Maxine Rogers, Lou Prole, Yavuz Mutlu, Dave Luckhurst

Minutes of last meeting
Huw proposed that they be accepted, Shirley seconded.  

Chairman's Report
As Paul has been away for much of the year he has not been able to have a great deal of input.  He thanked Shirley and Kay for keeping the club going and stated that he was not standing again.

Secretary's Report
The number of members has increased slightly this year but the active members has stayed pretty similar. Most of the organised rides had about 10 participants and I think were enjoyed by all. Many thanks to Shirley who has been fantastic in keeping the rides going. Unfortunately Glynn was unable to run the September week away due to illness and wish him a hasty recovery so he will be back on his bike soon.

Treasurer’s report
As at this time last year balance was £561.79
Only one transactions this year
CUK membership - £77.50

Current balance - £484.29

It was asked if we needed to affiliate to Cycling UK. It was unanimously agreed that we did in order to have the insurance to cover leaders. As this year's fee has just been paid it was agreed to pay for the following year in the autumn of 2020.
It was also unanimously decided to forgo the contribution from the tandem triathlon this year as any profits they make will go towards buying a couple of tandems for the event. It was also agreed not to charge a membership fee for the coming year.

Officers 
As Paul was standing down he proposed Huw and Liz seconded the motion. Huw agreed to take over if he could get more help with the Tandem Triathlon. All present to put date in diary, 4th July 2020, and get as much support as possible. Kay proposed Shirley as secretary which was seconded by Glynn. Shirley and Kay would organise the ride programme jointly.

Chairperson - Huw Prole
Treasurer - Chris Radford
Secretary - Shirley Mutlu
Ride Co-ordinator - Kay Radford/Shirley Mutlu

Rides
It was decided to continue the "meet at" rides on the first Wednesday of each month - Kay and Shirley will develop a programme for the year and share responsibility. This will also tie in with the weekly Wednesday "fast rides".  Most venues would be within 15 miles of Bishops Castle so accessible to most riders. 

Huw suggested that individuals could organise a couple of rides each per year outside the Wednesday programme.  These could be on any day and either "meet at" or led rides. Hopefully some would be at weekends.

Huw, Dave and Chris agreed to organise 2 each and Tess to organise 1.  They will let Shirley know the dates and venues in advance which will be put on the website and emailed to members. 

Shirley agreed to send an email to all members to ask if they wanted to continue to receive all the ride emails.
Glynn agreed to organise a multi day trip either to Hay on Wye, Yorkshire Dales or Briedden Hills with a choice of camping or in accomodation.

Paul would arrange a few days in Rhayader.
The mountain biking group, although not officially part of Castle Cyclists, continues to be very active with rides going out most Tuesdays, usually from the Happy Bap at 10.30.

Website
Maxine will continue to do an annual overhaul of the website. Shirley will take over adding events, contacts and reports. This remains the main point of contact for new potential members. https://castlecyclists.blogspot.co.uk/ 

Christmas Meal
Andy will organise a ride and meal on Sunday 12th January at the Inn on the Green,Wentnor

AOB
The Tandem Triathlon will be on July 4th next year and the club will again be involved in marshalling. 

Dave Thomlinson is organising an event on how to decarbonise transport at the Future New Transport fair in the Metropole Hotel in Llandrindod Wells on Sunday 17th November (2-5pm). He would be grateful for any ideas eg ebikes, cargo bikes and welcome anyone who would like to come.

Freda Davies who runs the National Cycle Museum in Llndrindod enquired if we would be interested as a club in visiting the museum.  Paul would try to liaise with her for a possible visit during the Rhayader trip. 

Liz showed us one of her exquisite Flying Gate frames just out for delivery. Very impressed.

Date of next Meeting
Wednesday October 14th 2020 at 7.30pm in the meeting room of The Three Tuns


The meeting ended at 8.35pm. 


*****

Castle Cyclists – Minutes of AGM 17th October 2018

Present
Dave Tomlinson, Andy Seaborne, Huw Prole, Tess Pearson, Kay Radford, Paul Rogers, Glynn Roberts, Chris Radford, Yavuz Mutlu, Shirley Mutlu, Julian Symondson, John Warren

Apologies
Steve Levers, Anne Roberts, Steve Waterhouse, Meady Waterhouse, Rose Churton, Jim Churton, Liz Colebrook, Beryl Bronner

Minutes of last meeting
Tess proposed that they be accepted, Huw seconded.

Chairman's Report
With both Kay & I away so much this year – not together I hasten to add! - along with early season poor weather conditions, the cycling group has had a slightly less active year. The Wednesday ride “meets” continue to be popular, with Huw/John/Andy's fast ride meeting others at a café or pub for a bite to eat, good conversation and some banter. Generally there are 10 or more turning up for these meets. Thanks once again to Glynn & Anne for organising a Yorkshire Dales week. The Christmas meal at the Inn on the Green was a success as ever, organised by Liz (again), thanks. Our assistance with the Tandem Triathlon helped make this another successful event, with entries up on the previous year and the club has received a £100 donation from the TT committee which helps to keep our membership fee at zero. Maxine has continued in the background to keep our visibility through a website/blog current, although she does rely on ride reports to keep this interesting and up to date. Informal day rides from Bishops Castle - MTB (Tuesday) and road (Wednesday) - have continued most weeks throughout the year, and although many of the participants are members of Castle Cyclists, these are not directly connected with the group.

Both Kay and I have now served as Chair & Secretary for 2 years and would like to hand over the reigns to others who may be able to continue to steer the cycling group forward. I have been a member of the group for about 8 years now and the 2 year changes of officials is I believe the best way to ensure that any club doesn't get too bogged down and set in its ways. It is not an overly onerous job, but the cycling group does need somebody to tie this all together and we do need a contact point for anybody who is interested in cycling – I have received 3 emails in the past couple of months from local cyclists who found us through the Cycling UK link/Castle Cyclists web blog, so it does work! Whilst 2017 was a very successful year for the club, I believe that the effect both of us seemed to have had on the group is for others to “take their foot off the gas”, relying mostly on either Kay or I to stoke up enthusiasm for many of the rides. With neither of us being about much in 2018, this has made what are simple tasks, more difficult, often having to login to the email system from abroad, which is not always easy and virtually impossible from a smart phone.

However, our attempts at finding suitable candidates to take on the role(s) has so far been unsuccessful. For now can I take the opportunity to thank Kay for all the work she has done in helping me to keep this show on the road.

Secretary's Report
As Paul has said, the club is still doing well with good membership (about 65) although only a minority are “active” in taking part in club rides. However we do need a bit of a change in direction as Paul and I tend to be away rather a lot and it would be good to get some new blood in to keep the rides going.

The email system/website are working well with notification of rides emailed out to all members and usually added to the website. Thanks to Maxine for keeping it together despite often being out of the country. I would also like to thank Paul for being a fantastic and inspiring chairperson.

Glynn's trip to the Yorkshire Dales was excellent again. This year we again had 10 of us staying at the Dales Cycle Centre in mostly very good weather although we did battle a bit with the wind. The area must have some of the best road riding in the country. Hopefully will be able to go again next year.

Treasurer’s report
As at this time last year balance was £536.79
Only two transactions this year
CUK membership - £75.00
Tandom triathlon donation - £100
Current balance - £561.79

Paul proposed that we continue to not charge a membership fee for the coming year. Unanimously agreed. Glynn proposed that some of the balance be donated to charity. Huw proposed we waive the Tandem Triathlon income on alternate years in favour of Sparc. This would still leave a contingency for CUK membership for the future. This was essential in order for ride leaders to be covered for liability. Unanimously agreed.

Officers and Ride Programme – going forward
Having served 5 years as treasurer, Julian stood down. Glynn proposed Chris and Tess seconded which he agreed to. No one volunteered to take on the chairperson or secretary's role and both Paul and Kay agreed to continue for another year with help from others. Huw proposed they continue which was unanimously agreed. He also agreed to take over as chairperson next year. Shirley volunteered to help Kay as ride co-ordinator. Paul will continue as the main contact point for the club.

Chairperson – Paul Rogers
Secretary – Kay Radford
Treasurer – Chris Radford
Ride Co-ordinator – Shirley Mutlu
Webmasters – Maxine and Paul Rogers

Rides
It was decided to continue the “meet at” rides on the first Wednesday of each month – Kay and Shirley will develop a programme for the year and share responsibility. This will also tie in with the weekly Wednesday “fast rides”. Other, more informal rides, can be organised by any member on any day (hopefully some at weekends). These could be “meet at” or lead rides – just send details by email to Paul, Kay or Shirley who will send it on to group members. We hope this will give the opportunity for all to get involved and organise different rides. As many members do not cycle with the group, Paul proposed that a shorter, active members group be formed so that these less formal ride emails are not cluttering up everyone's emails. After asking all members if they wish to be included, he will draw this up.

Huw will again organise the Solstice ride on Saturday 22nd December up to Bury Ditches followed by breakfast at The Happy Bap at 9am.

The mountain biking group, although not officially part of Castle Cyclists, continues to be very active with rides going out most Tuesdays, usually from the Happy Bap at 10.30.

Website
Paul and Maxine will continue to maintain and update the website and email group as needed. It has proved very successful and acts as the main point of contact for new potential members. https://castlecyclists.blogspot.co.uk/

Christmas Meal
Andy will organise a ride and meal on Sunday 13th January at the Inn on the Green, Wentnor

AOB
The Tandem Triathlon will be on July 6th next year and the club will again be involved in marshalling.

Slide show/cycling film – after the success of Paul's slide show of his trip to Ladakh last year it was decided to have a film evening with a short cycling film and member's slides of their years cycling activities. Paul to organise – hopefully in the main upstairs room of the 3 Tuns.

Date of next Meeting
Wednesday October 16th 7.30pm in the meeting room of The Three Tuns

The meeting ended at 8.45pm. Agreed to try next year to keep in shorter!!

*****

Castle Cyclists – Minutes of AGM 18th October 2017

Present
Dave Tomlinson, Jim Churton, Rose Churton, Liz Colebrook, Andy Seaborne, Huw Prole, Stephen Aldey, Tess Pearson, Maxine Rogers, Neil Lockwood, Beryl Bronner, Kay Radford, Paul Rogers, Glynn Roberts, Angela Rowe, Adrian Penney, Chris Radford, Dave Luckhurst, Yavuz Mutlu

Apologies
Steve Levers, Julian Symondson, Chris Symondson, Ann Roberts, Steve Waterhouse, Meady Waterhouse, Lou Prole

Minutes of last meeting
Glynn proposed that they be accepted – unanimously agreed. Minutes of subsequent meeting on 19th October 2016 also unanimously accepted.

Chairman's Report
2017 has seen two rides in most months and all well supported, with a max of 16 on the ride to the Stables pub in Hopesgate. The format of rides that meet up at a cafe or pub appears to work well for all, some riding in smaller groups to reach the destination, and some riding on their own.

Maxine created a new “blog style” website which is far more dynamic and so hopefully better reflects what we do as a group. The use of an “all members” group has allowed us to blind copy everybody easily when emailing and with last year's sort out of active members, we are hopefully now reaching members reliably. A reminder to all that we do need more contributors, to ensure that this continues. The website costs the club nothing – https://castlecyclists.blogspot.co.uk/

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Kay for all the input she has had this year. We both have access to the website and email and between us we seem to manage to keep things ticking along, despite both being away for lengthy periods during the year. If we are to continue in our roles we will need a little more assistance with ride leadership/coordination.

Several members helped out at a health & fitness open day at the town hall where we hosted a stand. Despite last year's decision to put the Tandem Triathlon on hold, a team was put together once again and successfully managed to put the event on, with Castle Cyclists providing the marshals as usual – thanks to all who helped out. A very successful event from all accounts with a date set of the 2018 event - 30th June.

Sadly of course we lost one of our founding members recently, John Smyth. I felt privileged to attend his funeral with other members of Castle Cyclists and feel sure that he would have been pleased to see the group continuing to encourage all to ride bikes, not just a club for the elite.

Secretary's Report
There are now about 60 members signed on the website. These all to be emailed to confirm that they wish to continue. The self registering process seems to be working well and the new website/blog is a huge improvement and appreciated by all. Many thanks to Maxine for setting this up and keeping it going.
The Yorkshire Dales trip organised by Glynn in September was excellent. 10 people stayed in Swaledale and enjoyed some fabulous rides in the Dales and really good accommodation at the Dales Cycle Centre. Many thanks to Glynn for organising this.
The MTB group, although not officially part of Castle Cyclists, is also doing really well. A ride goes out every Tuesday, usually from the Happy Bap at 10.30. Great fun but often very muddy. Glynn is organising a B group, also on Tuesday, with somewhat shorter but just as muddy rides – contact him if you are interested.

Everyone's thanks to Paul for being a brilliant chairman this year. The group is really flourishing.

Treasurer’s report

As at this time last year balance was £622.64
CTC membership - £75.00
Enterprise House (EC) - £10.85
Current balance - £536.79

The usual payment from TT was waived (per Huw)

Paul proposed that we continue to not charge a membership fee for the coming year. Unanimously agreed.

Officers
Adrian proposed that all officers to remain. Seconded by Liz and unanimously agreed.
Chairman – Paul
Secretary – Kay
Treasurer – Julian

Rides Programme
All those who have been joining the rides were very positive about the format and last year's programme. These will continue on the first Wednesday and third Sunday of each month except August. All Wednesday rides to be 'meet at' rides. Some Sunday rides to be lead. Last year Paul and Kay organised all the rides but as both will be away a good deal this year we need others to help coordinate and organise rides. Several people volunteered:
Liz – Christmas dinner ride
Dave Tomlinson – ride to the new cafe at Stokesay Castle – to find out when it is open
Chris – Wednesday December 6th ride
Huw – Solstice ride 21st December
Jim – Wednesday 7th February ride
Glynn – summer ride and Yorkshire Dales trip

Paul and Kay to draw up a list of rides until end of March 2018. Please let Paul know the destination and timing of the rides as soon as possible.

Tandem Triathlon
Huw – the triathlon looks set to continue this year on June 30th. Concern was expressed at the poor condition of some of the tandems, particularly the efficacy of their brakes. It was felt that the group could not support and help at the triathlon unless there was some form of assessing the brakes. There had been a suggestion that participants would need to complete a form to confirm that the brakes had been checked and bicycle in roadworthy condition. Huw to give feedback on the decisions of the TT committee.

AOB
Paul brought up the issue of the CUK liability for leaders as he felt that we do not have sufficient information about individual riders in case of an accident – only an email address. It was agreed that when members were contacted for continuation of their membership that they would be asked to provide and address and emergency contact number. This would be updated each year.

Date of next Meeting
Wednesday 17th October 7.30 Three Tuns

The meeting ended at 20.20 and was followed by an inspiring slide show and video of the CTC trip Paul lead to Ladakh in August. A far cry from the Shropshire Hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment